Login

Not a member yet? Click here to register!
Username:
Password:
Forums
MS: PS3 in Europe would have proved 360's dominance
View previous topic - View next topic  
Aircool_212
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Ouch, looks like the bods at Microsoft have been playing too much DOA as they're going for a big combo on Sony right now. Will it end with a mighy kick in Sony's knackers or will Sony do that counterattack thing where they turn your move against you... we await the outcome, then bugger off to play on our PC's, Wii's and 360's.
4321emanresu
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Am i the only one who is getting sick of this arrogance from both Sony and Microsoft?
atiqulhussain
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote

4321emanresu wrote:
Am i the only one who is getting sick of this arrogance from both Sony and Microsoft?

Well, this comes to no surprise. Nintendo has always said that they aren't going to battle with Sony and Microsoft, and that seems to be the case, as Microsoft and Sony are at each other's throats in the media.
thelazyone
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote

To be fair to sony it wouldnt have done that great because the launch software isnt up to scratch just yet. Its taken microsoft one year to get theirs rolling and lets be honest last year when the 360 came out who actually bought it other than fanyboys??

So ill wait just like everyone else to see which is better but for now ill be playin my gears of war online and in the near but so so distant future ill be playin exclusives on the ps3!

I think they should stop all this banter with each other. Nintendo are the only company that have learnt a lession from all this and look how well they are doing! Razz
LGarth
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad MSoft is having fun and all that, because I am not. My 360 is being starved to death by the total lack of releases (worthwhile releases that is) since Gears of War ... Now we have ONE game coming out next week, and then a long wait until March or whenever the next worthwhile game comes out. I need more games on my system.
thelazyone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote

yes thats the problem with such powerfull machines, the programming becomes far more complex and as a result takes much longer to complete.

But im sure when the big games are realeased its well worth the wait regardless of the system!
bazzatuk
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Gears is still entertaining me. Online play with my mates is more than enough.

I wanted a Wii, but will have to wait because of problems with my preorder and now I am pretty happy it didn't arrive on time as there isn't anything I want to play besides Zelda. As for the PS3, I suppose resistance looks ok, but it doesn't sell the console to me.
Diomedes1977
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Microsoft is too arrogant and overconfident ...

Had the PS3 appeared in Europe it would have added another million or more PS3 to the market and MS would have had its ass handed to them this christmas ....

Speaking once the risk passed as "we wanted them to show their face but they didnt and couldnt prove our might " is childish and arrogant at the same time ...

I know many people waiting for the PS3 ....Microsoft better dont get too overconfident .Sony can be overconfident ,at least is undestatable ...they have dominated two generations straight with ease ....Microsoft hasnt dominated anything in the console world to act with this overconfidence (without doubt coming from their PC monopoly ...)
nb_nmare2
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote

Erm, wasn't it only a couple of days ago that Microsoft said they consider Nintendo to be their main competition? And now they say Sony is their "main next-generation competition".

FFS, make up your minds you hypocritical fools.
iainbyoung

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote

nb_nmare2 wrote:
Erm, wasn't it only a couple of days ago that Microsoft said they consider Nintendo to be their main competition? And now they say Sony is their "main next-generation competition".

FFS, make up your minds you hypocritical fools.

Presumably they don't consider the Wii a next-generation machine, and so it wouldn't be "next-gen" competition.
iainbyoung

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote

thelazyone wrote:
yes thats the problem with such powerfull machines, the programming becomes far more complex and as a result takes much longer to complete.

Not entirely true. It actually takes far cleverer programming to get the most out of a slower machine than it does to produce the same thing on a more powerful machine. Looking at the games produced so far, nothing has really been anything other than an evolution of existing software engines / games, and I suspect the code underneath is not any more complex than the previous generation games.

What does add to the cost is the additional artwork / audio that people are coming to expect...

Hopefully we'll see something a bit more innovative this year Smile
FatBoyFonz
Kudos: 44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote

thelazyone wrote:
...and lets be honest last year when the 360 came out who actually bought it other than fanyboys??

Oooh, me me!!

I bought it and I wasn't a fanboy.
voodoocharlie
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote

To be fair, I've always been a Playstation man, but Sony really haven't considered the European market this time round.

Ok they've had manufacturing issues, but to keep delaying the European release is just pure arrogance.

Sony can keep their PS3, I'm a new 360 fanboy now!
falloutwarchief
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote

thelazyone wrote:
last year when the 360 came out who actually bought it other than fanyboys??

Possibly the most ridiculous comment I have ever read.

How about people who wanted to get into the next generation as soon as possible?
I bought it at launch because firstly I'm an early adopter of anything promising (which is also why I bought the Wii at launch but will be giving PS3 a miss for at least a year).
Secondly, I was looking forward to Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero and CoD2.

Three of my friends also bought it on launch day and they didn't own the original Xbox, two owned PS2 and the other a Gamecube, so I certainly wouldn't call them MS fanboys.
thelazyone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote

falloutwarchief wrote:

How about people who wanted to get into the next generation as soon as possible?
I bought it at launch because firstly I'm an early adopter of anything promising (which is also why I bought the Wii at launch but will be giving PS3 a miss for at least a year).

So your telling me that where not a fan of microsoft but bought it at launch for three software titles that actually are arent as good as they where expected. Paid over the top for the console, then waited a very long time for the premier games to be released, oh and did you have a hd tv at the time?
All this with out being the slightlest fan for microsoft! Rolling Eyes
Crow555
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote

thelazyone wrote:
falloutwarchief wrote:

So your telling me that where not a fan of microsoft but bought it at launch for three software titles that actually are arent as good as they where expected. Paid over the top for the console, then waited a very long time for the premier games to be released, oh and did you have a hd tv at the time?
All this with out being the slightlest fan for microsoft! Rolling Eyes

You my friend, are a prime numpty. Just because someone buys a console at launch doesn't mean that they're a fan boy. As mentioned above, the 360 had some good games at launch, PGR3 and CoD2 being 2 of them.

I bought a Wii at launch despite having most played PC and PS2 games in the last generation.

Sounds like someone is an anti-360 zealot. Rolling Eyes

[DOA]|Xfire|XBL:Crow555
thelazyone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Dude I have a 360! and i would NOT swap it for anything! (well maybe pamela anderson but thats a diffrent story!)

The point i was trying to make is that people who buy machines at launch tend to make an investment of at least 3 to 4 years and normally the software isnt amazing to begin. Yet people pay the cash waiting for betta things to come. Fanboys do have the tendancy to do this, however prehaps i should have said people who bought the 360 at launch where just big fans of microsoft and not fanboys altough i thought they where the same thing, but clearly they are not!

Last edited by thelazyone on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
cjw101
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote

thelazyone wrote:
Dude I have a 360! and i would swap it for anything! (well maybe pamela anderson but thats a diffrent story!)

The point i was trying to make is that people who buy machines at launch tend to make an investment of at least 3 to 4 years and normally the software isnt amazing to begin. Yet people pay the cash waiting for betta things to come. Fanboys do have the tendancy to do this, however prehaps i should have said people who bought the 360 at launch where just big fans of microsoft and not fanboys altough i thought they where the same thing, but clearly they are not!

Bear in mind as well it was the first of the three 'next' (now current Wink) gen consoles, and there was always going to be a big rush to get into the whole next-gen gaming thing... Doesn't matter whether it was Sony, MS or Nintendo that launched first, the first one out was going to do well regardless...

XBL GamerTag: LotusCrispy
Smartguy1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote

Diomedes1977 wrote:
Microsoft is too arrogant and overconfident ...

Had the PS3 appeared in Europe it would have added another million or more PS3 to the market and MS would have had its ass handed to them this christmas ....

No it wouldn't have done. Sony are selling every console they produce, and are currently supply limited. this means that any consoles sold here would have meant less consoles somewhere else. There are no 'spare' PS3s. Therefore there would be the same net amount of PS3s in the world wherever they're sold.

Diomedes1977 wrote:

Speaking once the risk passed as "we wanted them to show their face but they didnt and couldnt prove our might " is childish and arrogant at the same time ...

I know many people waiting for the PS3 ....Microsoft better dont get too overconfident .Sony can be overconfident ,at least is undestatable ...they have dominated two generations straight with ease ....Microsoft hasnt dominated anything in the console world to act with this overconfidence (without doubt coming from their PC monopoly ...)

I agree all of this is childish, but it's PR and it's been going on for a long long time. This is nothing new and I don't know why people let it heat them up so much.

As for your friends anticipation of PS3, they must have the patience of saints. Unlike MS, who may talk big, but have so far delivered on their promises, Sony have so far been all talk an no action.

- They promised to launch in Spring 06, then at the last minute, told everyone they weren't really, but a global launch was coming at the end of the year
- They cancelled said global launch by delaying in Europe
- They estimated 4M sold worldwide by the end of the year
- Then 2M
- Then 1M in each territory
- And they couldn't even do that, total sales in the US are approx 700,000, and a similar amount in Japan.
- They promised 'Sony Live' for free, and delivered an online service that has generally been poorly received.
- They are launching at a massive Ł150 more than their competitor, while offering games that look no better

I could go on and on, I really can't see why anyone would want a PS3 over a 360 right now, until MGS4 and FF:XIII are released, there is nothing bar motorstorm and resistance that is any good and isn't on 360.

MS are exhibiting confidence for two reasons I believe:

1. They have looked at the past, and seen the first console to achieve 10M worldwide sales has gone on to sell the most in that gen.

2. If they didn't act with some confidence and, dare I say it, arrogance, there will be a perception, implied or otherwise, that MS doesn't have faith in their product. This would eventually affect sales.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CVG Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: