Login

Not a member yet? Click here to register!
Username:
Password:
Forums
Sony boss: '360 is simply not as powerful as PS3'
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
falloutwarchief
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote

So the 360 is not as powerful as the PS3 and yet can deliver superior graphics, backward compatibility and online services... Yeah, ok. That's a fair statement.
I shouldn't really have debated it in the first place, we all know Kaz Hirai speaks nothing but the truth. Rolling Eyes

I saw a 1up video blog where they were using their debug machines to play backup discs. They showed the underside of the disc, where Resistence was burned onto like 1/8th of the BluRay.
Another out-and-out lie from Hirai (rhyming is fun). Resistence would easily fit on a DVD.

Also I think the "if we had simply done a mild upgrade to the PS2" line is an attempt to reiterate the recently fired/demoted (only good move by Sony in '06) Kutaragi's comments about "Xbox 1.5", which is a load of crap too.

So here we are with the first Sony PR of 2007, and their unbelieveably bad track record from last year looks set to continue...

Rrriiiiiiiiiiddddgggeeee Rrraaaaaacccceeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
FatBoyFonz
Kudos: 44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Article wrote:
"Resistance: Fall of Man simply wouldn't be possible on any other system without using multiple discs."

So the 'power' lies in the capacity of the disc???
RobW
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Seriously I am getting wound up by Sony's approach to their consumers. They talk SO much. All I want them to do is PROVE IT. Please Sony PROVE to me why I should spend however many hundreds more for your system compared to the 360 or wii? Prove to me with EXAMPLES.

The lack of proof really isnt helping them.
steve_2003
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I own a Xbox360 and love it, I have a growing number of friends who I play regularly with on Xbox Live & am really looking forward to all the must have titles heading for the 360 during 2007.
I also own a Nintendo Wii and am having great fun with it, it's a great party console and Zelda is fantastic.
I own a PS1 & PS2 but have no interest in the PS3 whatsover, the extremely limited exclusives & Sony's arrogance towards the consumer in the past year have made up my mind. No matter how powerful the console, without the games or customer care to warrant the PS3's price, it will always be just a brand name on a expensive box.
Get your act together for the PS4 and I may consider it, in the mean time I'm having a fantastic time with these two great consoles on my shelf. Cool
iainbyoung
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote

What has disk capacity got to do with the power of the machine?
steven_h1
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote

"360 is simply not as powerful as PS32"

So where's the PS3 hardware scaler chip? When are you going to finish the PS3's software & when is the PS3 going to output 720p (which most of us with HDTV's have got) Blu ray movies? We've seen the games so far & there is nothing to suggest that the PS3 is vastly superior to the 360 and I bet Sony would die to have a decent online system like Xbox Live.

Things might not be going to plan for Sony:-

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070108-8574.html

Last edited by steven_h1 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Niknak106
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote

"PS3: SIMPLY NOT AS AVAILABLE AS THE 360"
lazarous
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Sony are desperately blind-siding their opposition because basically, they royally cocked up this launch BIG time!

My biggest problem with it is its probably gonna be getting on for autumn this year before your average joe can get their hands on one, by which time the console is already getting on for a year old. Do you think that'll be reflected in the price, chopping a year of the life cycle of a console in the territory where it's already most expensive???

Sorry Sony, you lot are 'effing rubbish, stop bagging your opposition simply because they did massively better than you, not perfect by any means, but MASSIVELY better.
hollywood111
Kudos: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote

This reeks of desperation......
Crow555
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote

So the 360 is not a powerful as the PS3?

Well at the moment, I can buy a 360 today if I wanted with a choice of over 160 games most of which have access to a proven online system.

Unless power means "Out tomorrow with all the trimmings", it means nothing to me.

[DOA]|Xfire|XBL:Crow555
nuggit3000
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote

correct me if I'm wrong but is this the same company who were saying 5 years ago that power isn't everything - when MS were bragging how powerful the Xbox was compared to the PS2
MrPirtniw
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Honestly, what is this guy trying to prove? It's like a playground arguement over the size of someones family jewels.

The fact is, if you remember the old days of the Saturn and PS1, the Saturn was the technically superior console and Sega were a well established company. However the Saturn being so difficult to program totally alienated games companies and it's (then) over the top price tag put most people off. Can you see any similarities here?

Anyway, over in Japan, where Sony shifts the majority of its consoles, the PS3 is being thrashed by the Wii. And that's a far technically inferior console graphically. So the answer is... so what?

Ooh, while i'm here, the idea of a PS4 is looking unlikely (supposedly), and here's why... According to my sources (heh, listen to Mr Detective here), "the replacement of PS1 and PS2 creator Ken Kutaragi as top dog in the games division by the software-obsessed Kaz Harai led one suit to dismiss the chances of a fourth machine to pastel-hued laugh-riot the Financial Times. 'The appointment of Hirai could be the start of a shift from hardware to software', said Yuta Sakurai, an analyst at Nomura. 'I cannot now imagine a Playstation 4.' Aw, shame."
Richyrich316

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Bottom Line Executives are full of SH!T
herbalsummer
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote

There is a word for what the heads of both companys are doing,its called Propergander(if thats how you spell it),and was used by both allies and axis during the war,and the same b.s is happaning now with this so-called console"war",and i for one think its disgusting and is causing a lot of problems with the younger audiance.
"This is better"
"no this is better"
and so on and so-forth etc etc.

Why dont they both shut the f*%k up and join together with the mighty Nintendo and make one hell of a super console.
Niknak106

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote

herbalsummer wrote:
There is a word for what the heads of both companys are doing,its called Propergander(if thats how you spell it),and was used by both allies and axis during the war,and the same b.s is happaning now with this so-called console"war",and i for one think its disgusting and is causing a lot of problems with the younger audiance.
"This is better"
"no this is better"
and so on and so-forth etc etc.

Why dont they both shut the f*%k up and join together with the mighty Nintendo and make one hell of a super console.

Without competition from rival companies, they would have no reason to better themselves technically.

And it's 'propaganda.' A propergander would be a real male goose Laughing
MrPirtniw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote

lol proper gander...(wipes tear from eye)

As much as i respect Nintendo, they're not 'Grrraghh! enough for me... that's right. It is a word... Though that Zelda game keeps tempting me...
ArchFlameTera
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote

falloutwarchief wrote:
So the 360 is not as powerful as the PS3 and yet can deliver superior graphics, backward compatibility and online services...

i expect live to be the best online service again this time, but you can hardly say the 360s backwards compatibility is better, in fact its probably the worst attempt ive seen at that!
M00nblade
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote

falloutwarchief wrote:

I saw a 1up video blog where they were using their debug machines to play backup discs. They showed the underside of the disc, where Resistence was burned onto like 1/8th of the BluRay.
Another out-and-out lie from Hirai (rhyming is fun). Resistence would easily fit on a DVD.

Actually, resistence was burned onto like 7/8th of the 25GB Bluray.

Click Here

lair preview: 10 GB
motorstorm (J version) : 13 GB
falloutwarchief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote

ArchFlameTera wrote:
i expect live to be the best online service again this time, but you can hardly say the 360s backwards compatibility is better, in fact its probably the worst attempt ive seen at that!

Well its true that the quantity isn't there on 360, in that there are only a limited mumber of games supported, but the ones that are supported feature upgraded anti-aliasing, sometimes better draw distances, progressive-scan and can be run in 720p/1080i.
Apparently the PS3's backward compatibility has horrible display issues with artifacting and downscales games rather than upscaling. It's still better to play PS2 games on your PS2 through a composite lead than on your PS3 through HDMI.

Yes almost all PS1/2 titles are supported, but if they look like ass then why bother.
I'd say there'll be a firmare update from Sony soon enough though, so yeah, they win.
Hmmm, that's a lot of typing just to reach the same conclusion as you.. ah well, it's done now and I ain't gettin rid of it. Wink
jaycee900
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote

M00nblade wrote:
falloutwarchief wrote:

Click Here
If you take out the 1080p rendered/live action crap they like to fill up the discs with then yeah all ps3 games will fit on a dvd9.
I mean if oblivion hit the ps3 first they would be saying it needs 2 dvd's of space...mind you with that 1080p rendered intro they may need a 50gb blu-ray to fit it on!
lair preview: 10 GB
motorstorm (J version) : 13 GB
Swilkin
Kudos: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote

MrPirtniw wrote:
lol proper gander...(wipes tear from eye)

As much as i respect Nintendo, they're not 'Grrraghh! enough for me... that's right. It is a word... Though that Zelda game keeps tempting me...

You hit the nail on the head twice there.

1. Very funny gander joke.
2. Nintendo are loosing their way...yeh its doing well and yeh the Wii is fun....but seriously...Im not 10 anymore - I wont be playing Pikmin anymore thankyou very much. I need Grrrrrragh like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Gears of War, GTA, PGR....Pro Evo etc etc
falloutwarchief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote

M00nblade wrote:

Oh... that's totally different than the video I saw.
I believe the one I saw was 1UPs First Impressions of PS3, on Gametrailers.
They made a point of showing the Resistance disc to the camera and saying how it would fit on a DVD. Just so you know I'm not pulling these facts out of my ar... nose.
DAEDALUS79
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Blu-Ray Daily

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Wipes tears away from eyes.

Oh god thats funny.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
MrPirtniw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Generally, having to swap discs doesn't bother me in the slightest. Resident Evil, final fantasy. Jedi Knight and now Blue Dragon do it. They're all quality games! I don't mind occasionally getting up- im not fused to my sofa... though sometimes i wish i was... that'd be a good excuse to get out of work.
Moby_696
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Niknak106 wrote:
And it's 'propaganda.' A propergander would be a real male goose Laughing

lmao, awesome.

Made me laugh about the Nintendo dig though, that was pretty funny..."I suppose if we had simply done a mild upgrade to the PS2 and not pushed the envelope so hard, it would have been easier on ourselves."

I think it's true for the most part, give the wii another year and i honestly expect hardware sales to slow to a trickle.

Think about it - i'm aware the wii is technically more powerful than say a PS2 or gamecube, but not so much that it can run a game like GoW or Resistance, so its kind of mid-gen in that sense...powerful - but not powerful enough.

My point is, with it only really been a bit more powerful than these last gen consoles, the graphics are therefore no better than a machine thats been out since 2001 (PS2).

SO if i've been seeing the same level of graphical immersion for the last 4-5 years say, and i have the choice of a marginal upgrade technically, or a radically more powerful machine, i know which one i'll go for.

And don't give me the gameplay over graphics bollocks. I'm sorry, but using the wii mote to control the game does not instantly dictate that game has superior gameplay, thats a far fetched assumption.

Unless the wii comes up with fantastic games that would ONLY work with the wiimote, i think i'll pass. Cheap rehashes of old games that simply feature the wiimote as the only 'upgrade' are not 'next gen', and never will be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CVG Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: