[cap-talk] Firefox breaks the principle of identifiability

Tyler Close list at waterken.net
Tue Feb 8 11:00:50 EST 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Jed Donnelley wrote:

> At 09:37 PM 2/7/2005, Tyler Close wrote:
>> I want to continue to delay the introduction discussion until we nail
>> down the phishing part of the discussion, but I will get to it if you
>> want to.
>
> I'm ready to hear it.  Perhaps you could just point me to some stuff
> on your YURLs.

For now, I am just going to give you some links. I really want to try
the discussion in steps this time. We've had this discussion on
cap-talk before (maybe before you arrived) and not made much progress.
I suspect it's because everyone just piles all naming related problems
onto the discussion all at once, and then we circle around it
endlessly. Petnames + YURLS + keyword servers do provide a complete
solution, but I guess it's just too much to communicate all at once.
Petnames all on their own provide important and tangible benefits, and
establishing that fact might make communicating the rest of the system
easier.

The YURL Definition paper you've already seen is a requirements
specification. The httpsy protocol is an implementation of these
requirements. See:

http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/httpsy/

This specification explains the crypto and networking part of the
solution.

An example introduction scenario is examined in the paper at:

http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/Schneier/

The home page for all these papers is at:

http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/

There are many papers under that root that explore different parts of
the naming problem. Taken together, they might give you a more complete
picture of what we have in mind. For now, I want to continue to focus
the discussion on the phishing aspect. If we reach consensus on just
that part, we will have made important progress, and done much better
than we have on previous tries.

Tyler

---
The web-calculus is the union of REST and capability-based security:
http://www.waterken.com/dev/Web/